Transformations architecture as alchemy and Barcelona city’s transformation are some of the major attractions at one of the world’s biggest architectural event, World Architecture Festival, which starts tomorrow in Barcelona.
The Festival’s thematic exhibition and seminar programme will be based around the theme of ‘Transformations’ and will relate to the way in which the built environment can be transformed by a combination of client commitment, architectural imagination, technological development and professional teamwork. more
Sponsored by HP the 2010 World Architecture Festival thematic exhibition uses case studies from around the world to illustrate different aspects of transformation, including: creative re-use and adaptation, regeneration, technology transfer, climate - change initiatives, social change, economic growth.
The exhibition will include filmed interviews with participants, who will also contribute to the Festival seminar programme.
- Transforming Buildings: Transforming Culture - David Chipperfield, Founder and Principal David Chipperfield Architects
- Transforming Image and Meaning - Sean Griffiths, F A T::Architecture more
- Architectural Practice Transformation - Philip G.Bernstein, VP Industry Strategy and Relations, Autodesk and Lecturer, Yale School of Architecture more
- Shape, Space & Structure Transformed Through Digital Technology - Vesna Petresin and Laurent-Paul of Robert of Rubedo and engineers Adams Kara Taylor more
- Case study, rethinking the possibilities for urban expansion: Red Location, Port Elizabeth, South Africa - Jo Noero, Noero Wolff Architects more
- Transforming Art in Work and Public Space - Paul Finch, Programme Director of World Architecture Festival and Director of CABE, Alex Heath, Director, International Art Consultants, Will Alsop, Director, Alsop Architects more
- Transforming Land and Site: Singapore Gardens, Singapore - Kathryn Gustafson and Mary Bowman, Gustafson Porter, Andrew Grant of Grant Associates and Paul Baker of Wilkinson Eyre more
- Practice Transformation - Lead by Phillip G. Bernstein, VP Industry Strategy and Relations, Autodesk with Peter Chappell, Director, Aedas Architects Ltd, Ramon Jesus Gonzalez, Architectural Area Manager, Sener, James Austin, BIM Leader, Space Group, Elodie Hanen, Architect Project Manager, AREP Group more
- Transforming Design - Paul Flowers, Senior Vice President of Design at Grohe, Blair Hutton, Senior Design Engineer at Dyson more
- Transforming Cities and Districts: Singapore and Bilbao - Ng Lang, CEO, Singapore Urban Redevelopment Authority, Ibon Areso, Deputy Mayor, Bilbao City Hall more
- Arata Isozaki - one of the most influential architects practicing today, whose work blends Eastern architectural style with emerging global trends, will reflect on his illustrious career, achievements, recent and current projects more
Barcelona city’s revolution
The Festival will also feature insightful and interesting seminar and keynote on the transformation of Barcelona
- New Barcelona - Queralt Garriga, Cultural Director of the Catalan Association of Architects (COAC), Marc Zaballa, Founder and Principal, Lagula Arquitectes, Jorge Duró and Laia Mogas, Founding Directors, Dumo* Architecture more
- Keynote: New Urban Paradigms, Barcelona Case Study - Josep Acebillo, Architect, CEO Barcelona Regional; Principal AuS, Professor at the Architecture Academy of Mendrisio-Lugana (Switzerland) more